Can you believe that Summer is officially over and Fall has finally begun? I think it's about time. I don't know about you, but I'm ready for cute boots, colorful scarves, apple picking, and hot coffee.
With the arrival of Fall comes the overwhelming realization that you are officially a full-fledged college girl. You've hopefully started to adjust, found a cool group of friends who you feel comfortable with, and are getting used to the way classes work. But there's something that might be missing from this life you've started to form here that is essential to the college experience: campus involvement. Coming from someone who took a semi-long time to find her place here on campus, I can assure you that joining clubs, organizations, and a sorority have absolutely resulted in IU becoming a home for me. Not only is becoming involved in campus activities a resume-builder, but it helps you to discover what exactly it is that you like and want to do with your life and/or future. On top of that, you meet so many other students who are interested in the same things you are, which creates meaningful friendships and connections.
First off, if you've already declared a major or know what specific school you're applying to or have been accepted to, check out the website that correlates with your school. Most of the time, you will find a list of ways to get more involved with activities specific to your major. If you're anything like how I was as a freshman, and have no idea what your major is going to be or even what school within IU you want to apply to, you can go to http://www.iub.edu/student/activities/index.shtml. Through this website you will find a list of several different organizations, volunteer opportunities, and clubs on campus. Keeping tabs on the IU website is definitely a great way to get informed on different involvement opportunities.
And then there's all of the chalking that I know you've noticed around campus. A successful marketing technique that clubs have been using to reach out to students is through chalking around campus and passing out flyers in high-traffic areas. Although it can kind of get annoying to constantly have other students handing you flyers as you walk through the arboretum, it can't hurt to take one or ask a question. You might just find the club that becomes a huge part of your life here at IU.
If you're wondering how I've gotten involved on campus, which you're probably not, I'll tell you. I'm a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) and am interning as a campus representative for Fluent representing Macy's. I also worked at the Indiana Daily Student (the school newspaper) for two years as an Advertising Account Executive, and am currently a member of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. Starting in a few short days, I will also be a contributing writer for HerCampus.com, a website specifically for college girls. Lastly, in a few weeks I will be announcing a brand new Food Recovery Network chapter on our campus that is getting started by yours truly. This organization's goal is to take all of the leftover food from on-campus dining halls and greek houses and donate it to homeless shelters and soup kitchens. If you're at all interested in joining my Food Recovery Network team, you can shoot me an email at msweil@indiana.edu or at brandnewatiu@gmail.com.
![]() |
| My coworkers from the IDS. Aka my second family |
![]() |
| Me and a couple of close friends who I met through my sorority |
Like always, if you have any questions, please shoot me an email! I have enjoyed chatting with the few of you who have reached out :)
xx, Maddy


No comments:
Post a Comment